I jumped into the DeLorean and turned the clock waaay back to July 4th, 1975 for these baked beans with sausage. Fleetwood Mac was hot, Bill gates started Microsoft and American troops evacuated Saigon.
America was suffering through political turmoil surrounding the Vietnam War, but we celebrated Independence Day with a gathering of friends and neighbors. It was the debut of this recipe.
It’s on the menu again this 4th of July and we’re celebrating American independence again. Keep this in mind and choose a good American craft beer for the party!
Let’s Make This!
While I was in that time machine I should have made some notes on the stock market. If I had, we might be dining on real steak instead of tube steak! Don’t forget the hot dogs and potato salad. Happy July 4th!
Baked Beans with Sausage
Sausage Baked Beans – The Perfect Cookout Side!
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 60
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 8-10 1x
- Category: Sides
Sausage Baked Beans
- (2) 30 oz cans pork & beans
- 1 lb Jimmie Dean hot pork sausage roll
- 1 medium onion -minced
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper – adjust to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 TBL ground mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350
- Crumble and brown the sausage in a skillet on medium high heat.
- Drain on a paper towel and set aside
- Combine brown sugar, ginger, mustard, pepper and salt with the water
- Add the pork and beans, sausage and onion, mix together and bake uncovered in a shallow baking dish for one hour
Keywords: baked beans