Honey syrup, simple syrup and others are essential ingredients of all those wonderful, exotic cocktails you find at restaurants and bars. You can make them yourself at home and there are many reasons why you should.
- Making your own is fast, easy and takes only minutes
- You can save money. The cost to make your own is far below store bought syrups. They can be made for pennies on the dollar.
- Your syrup won’t have any dyes, stabilizers or preservatives that commercial producers use. They have to use them for that all important shelf life because they may set in a warehouse or on the liquor store shelf for years before you buy and use them.
- Using natural ingredients and making them on demand means they will be fresher, healthier and more flavorful.
Surprise your guests with a cocktail using your own home-made syrup. Both you and they will appreciate the difference.
Honey syrup is one of the essentials and an ingredient in one of my favorite summer cocktails. Make some syrup and then use it to make a Bee’s Knees.
- equal parts honey and water
- Bring the water to a slow boil and stir while adding the honey
- Simmer until it’s fully incorporated, about 10-15 minutes, then remove from heat and cool
This will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for a month, but It’s so quick and easy I make it on demand when I want it.
And just one more thing…
It’s 96 degrees with 65% humidity right now. I hear something buzzing. Could it be a Bee’s Knees?