Cominando con Jesus is inspired by my recent safari to SoCal. While there exploring, I discovered a new specie of cocktails in the wild. This is the decadent and delicious result, because flips are the smoothest cocktails and the perfect liquid dessert.
I’m a fan of drinks that use egg white to create a frothy head. For those who, like me, never encountered a flip in the wild, it uses the whole egg. That creates the smooth, velvety mouthfeel associated with whipped cream and custard fillings.
Cominando Con Jesús – The Name
This recipe is dedicated to Jesús, the bartender that introduced me to flips and took the time to teach me about them. He shared his reverse shake technique and when to use it and traded secrets about infusions.
Cominando con Jesús means walking with Jesús and is the perfect description of what it’s like to enjoy this transcendent cocktail. It’s as good as it gets on this earth.
The evolution of this cocktail began with commercially prepared banana liqueur. It left a metallic aftertaste in the finished drink, so I had to make my own. Here’s the recipe:
Banana Infused Vodka for Cocktails
- 2 bananas – peeled and sliced
- 1–1/2 cups vodka or light rum
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup raw turbinado sugar
- Place 2 halved and sliced bananas in a sealable quart glass jar and cover with 350 ml or 1-1/2 cups of vodka. Seal and shake.
- Let the mixture steep for 3-4 days at room temp in a dark place. Strain out the fruit and filter everything through cheese cloth, pressing lightly to extract liquid. Repeat the filtering with fresh cheese cloth to remove any remaining solids
- Heat 1/2 cup of water and sugar in a heavy bottom sauce pot on medium heat until it simmers, reduces and forms a syrup, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let it cool
- Combine the syrup with the banana infused vodka. Seal in a bottle or jar, then shake to mix. Let it rest for one day. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use
This drink required a nutty component, so I created this delicious orgeat.
A creamy, nutty orgeat created for Cominando con Jesus!
- 2 cups cashew pieces
- 1–1/2 cup sugar
- 1–1/4 cup water
- 1 oz brandy
- Pulse and finely chop the cashews in a food processor, but do not pulverize them into powder
- Mix the sugar and water in a heavy bottom sauce pan over medium heat
- Stir until all the sugar is dissolved and bring it to a boil for 1 minute
- Add the chopped cashews and allow it to return to a simmer for 2 more minutes
- Remove from heat, cover and let it rest in the pan for 3-4 hours
- Place a large strainer over a bowl, line with cheesecloth and pour the liquid in
- When it stops draining, squeeze the cheesecloth to get the rest of the cashew milk
- Whisk in the brandy, bottle and refrigerate until ready to use.
The Finished Cocktail
The preparation to get here is worth the wait!
Cominando Con Jesus
A banana and cashew infused flip cocktail.
- 1 whole egg
- 3/4 oz coconut cream
- 3/4 oz cashew orgeat
- 1–1/4 oz banana liqueur
- Absinthe – spray or rinse
- Fresh ground nutmeg – garnish
- Make the banana liqueur and the cashew orgeat
- Pre-chill a coupe glass in the cooler
- Combine all the ingredients into a shaker, adding the liqueur last
- Reverse shake briefly with 2-3 cubes of ice to chill
- Double strain back into the top of the shaker
- Shake vigorously for 30-45 seconds to create a luscious foam
- Spray the chilled coupe glass with absinthe
- Pour in the cocktail – no additional straining required
- Garnish with freshly grated nutmeg