A grilled brie donut strays pretty far from your average grilled cheese sandwich. In fact, it’s more accurate to call it grilled cheese dessert, but regardless of name it’s well worth a taste.
Gourmet Grilled Cheese
My favorite grilled cheese is an exercise in simplicity, with only white bread, butter and velveeta. It’s comfort food enjoyed all my life and takes me to a good place.
For years I struggled with the concept of gourmet grilled cheese, because they inevitably had far more ingredients. That made them just sandwiches with cheese, not a grilled cheese.
I’m finally over it and this is the first of a series with my take on the new genre. All use different cheeses and uncommon ingredients, but all will satisfy that craving for hot melty cheese on grilled breads.
Grilled Brie Donut
Grilled Cheese Dessert!
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 1 1x
- Cuisine: American
- 1 glazed yeast donut – sliced in half
- 2 pats unsalted butter
- 3 oz brie – peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 dollops fig preserves
- Honey – garnish
- Chopped walnuts – garnish
- Remove the brie rind completely and slice the cheese thinly
- Heat a non-stick skillet on medium low until hot, then add the butter
- When bubbling grill the donut halves cut side down until they are golden brown
- Remove the donuts from the skillet and cover the bottom half with sliced brie. Microwave it for 10 seconds on high or until it melts
- Drizzle a plate with chilled honey and plate the donut
- Add a dollop of fig, top the sandwich with the other half and fill the hole with another dollop of fig preserves
- Garnish with walnut pieces