Potatoes confit is easily made by the novice cook, but the flavor will convince guests it was made by a three-star Michelin chef. This is accomplished by poaching them in fat or oil, slowly at low temperature. The soft, silky texture is distinctly different from roasted or baked potatoes and something that will leave an impression.
Fat or Oil?
You can use any type cooking oil, like olive, vegetable, sunflower or canola. This works as well with many types of fat, from lard to duck. My personal favorites are olive oil or duck fat and which I use at a given time depends on the current status of my wallet. Go with duck fat when you’re feeling flush and choose olive oil if it’s handy. They both make fantastic potatoes confit.
This is a terrific side for any meat or fish. They may also be used as I did for my English pea soup to add that extra pizzazz. These will keep refrigerated in an airtight container up to a week and you will love them hot or cold.
Step By Step Photos
Select baby potatoes and pack them in an oven proof dish. Smash the garlic, add the salt, fresh thyme and basil.
Bake for 2 hours, 15 minutes at 225, then remove and rest until they cool.Print
Duck Fat Potatoes Confit!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 135
- Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Yield: 8-10 1x
- 6–10 baby gold or red fingerling potatoes – washed and dried
- 1 to 1-1/4 cup duck fat or olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves – smashed
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 1 TBL sea salt
- Preheat oven to 225
- Tightly arrange potatoes in a single layer with the garlic, rosemary, thyme and salt in a small oven proof glass or ceramic baking dish
- Add the duck fat or oil until it covers the potatoes
- Cook in the oven for 2 hours and 15 minutes
- Remove the pan and allow the potatoes to cool to room temperature while resting in the fat
- Remove the potatoes and serve immediately, or store them in an airtight container. Refrigerate until ready to serve
- Strain out the garlic and herbs and make another batch with fresh herbs, or reserve the seasoned fat or oil for other uses