Summertime and Memorial Day is here and along with it comes outdoor picnics and barbecues! What makes a quick and easy addition to hotdogs and burgers? The answer is sunshine salad with cauliflower and broccoli. Don’t be like President Bush. Eat your broccoli!
This takes only minutes to make and I have never met anyone that doesn’t like it – or they were too polite to say so. This version is for those needing to restrict sugar intake in mind. It’s made using Splenda in the dressing instead of real sugar. Feel free to make the switch if you want. Splenda substitutes on an equal basis with sugar.
For the salad
- 1 medium head, = 3 cups Cauliflower – florets only
- 1 head or 3–4 stems = 3 cups Broccoli – florets only
- 1/2 Yellow onion – diced
- 1/2 cup golden raisins – roughly chopped
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese, plus some as garnish
- 1/4 cup sunflower kernels
- 8 pieces bacon – cooked crisp and chopped or use 1/4 cup real bacon bits
For the Dressing
- 1 cup Hellman’s Real Mayonnaise
- 2 TBL white vinegar
- 1/4 cup granulated Splenda sugar substitute
- Slice, dice and chop everything, then toss lightly
- Whisk the mayo, vinegar and splenda to make dressing. Adjust sugar to taste.
- Fold the dressing into the other ingredients with a spatula until everything is evenly coated
- Refrigerate until serving
- Immediately before serving, gently fold again to recombine any dressing that collected in the bottom
And just one more thing…
If you are enjoying this for Memorial Day, take a moment to honor those that made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom