Bugs works hard to stay a step ahead of Elmer and he needs a cocktail after a tough day.
In a story as old as time, he cozies up to Lola at the bar rail hoping to get lucky. He orders her a potent cocktail and whispers sweet nothings into her long, furry ears. Shortly after, she suggests they adjourn to share a carrot at her place.
This drink drives rabbits wild, but I can’t promise it will have the same effect on your lady. I can only urge you to bring your “A” game and take a chance!
Promoted by the Finnish government in 1942, it has enjoyed a resurgence of popularity. As we learn to appreciate healthier, more active lifestyles, dry January offers a pause after holiday celebrations. Bugs treat is the second installment of my dry cocktail menu and will disprove the myth that no alcohol means no fun.
You Can Call Me Ray…
Speaking of non-alcoholic cocktails, comedian Bill Saluga known for his alter-ego Raymond J. Johnson comes to mind. He became famous for his stand-up routine and beer commercials ending with the punchline “but you doesn’t have to call me Johnson”.
His disdain for being addressed as “a Johnson” sums up how I feel about mocktail. The definition is repugnant and delicious non-alcoholic cocktails can be made with the same artistry as any other libation.
So make me a Bugs Treat… but you doesn’t have to call it a Mocktail!
- Yield: 1 1x
- 1–3/4 oz Ritual Zero Proof Tequila Alternative
- 1–1/2 oz freshly made carrot juice
- 1/2 oz agave syrup
- 1/4 oz fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 oz ginger water
- Mini-carrot and rosemary garnish
- Shred 1 lb of peeled carrots in a food processor
- Combine with 2 cups water in a blender and blend until emulsified
- Let it steep for 15-30 minutes
- Press and strain into a swing top bottle and refrigerate until ready to use
- Wash and slice 2 medium pieces of fresh ginger root
- Bring to a boil with two cups of water in a non-reactive pan
- Reduce to a simmer for 5-10 minutes and remove from heat
- Let cool for 15 minutes and strain into a swing top bottle
- Refrigerate until ready to use
- Chill a coupe glass in the cooler
- Add all the ingredients to a cocktail shaker with ice
- Shake vigorously, double strain and pour
- Garnish with mini-carrot and serve
The non-alcoholic Zero Proof Tequila Alternative is furnished by my friends at Ritual Zero Proof and they recommend to use it as a replacement spirit on a 1:1 basis. Here are the panels tasting notes:
- Light yellow color like a medium aged tequila
- Aromas of dried fruit and some smoke immediately get your attention
- Full mouthfeel with smoky mezcal, peppercorns and lemon peel on the palate
- Flavor of smoky mezcal and agave emerge on the palate with a long spicy finish that emulates the light burn of alcohol