The name Sing Glory, is abbreviated from a phrase coined by mountain folk that declare the wonder of life when they “sing glory like a bucket of frogs”. Poet Lee Pennington memorialized the phrase in his inimitable spoken word while recording Songs of Bloody Harlan.
I created Sing Glory in remembrance of ancestral land long gone. It doesn’t exist today, because the entire mountain was destroyed, stripped away by greed for Appalachian black gold.
Old memories there are of the sweetest sights and sounds found in nature, undisturbed by man-made creations. In the mountains, sitting by a crackling campfire offers crystal clear, star studded skies that make you feel you can reach out and touch the hand of God.
I believe this drink speaks to all these things and if you pause to consider your blessings, you too may croon “like a bucket of frogs”.Print
Pisco Brandy, Benedictine, Lemon, Egg White and Merlot Syrup
- 1–1/2 oz pisco brandy
- 1–1/2 oz merlot syrup
- 1/4 oz benedictine
- 1/4 oz lemon juice
- 1 fresh egg white
- Gold leaf – garnish
- Combine 1 cup merlot, 2 TBL apple juice and 1 TBL granulated sugar in a heavy bottom pot
- Simmer until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture reduces by 15-20%
- Assemble all the components in a shaker and “dry shake-without ice” for 1 full minute
- Add 2-3 ice cubes and shake briefly, just long enough to chill
- Strain and pour into a coupe glass and garnish with edible gold leaf