Strawberry brussels sprout salad is answer to a sprout lover’s dream. This recipe, A.K.A. “kitchen sink salad” has a little of everything approach and can be customized to your personal preference. Most people don’t think about eating raw brussels sprouts, but they are delicious and make a great substitute for lettuce and greens.
How to Prep Your Sprouts
Purchase sprouts with tight leaves. Smaller are sweeter than overly large ones, but they’re also more dense in the center and have fewer leaves. Rinse them and remove any yellow or spotted leaves. Grasp the sprout by the stem and slice on a mandoline until you near the bottom. The result is ribbons of sprout that when tossed will separate like shredding cabbage for slaw. Pick out any large round slices of hearts if you wish.
Dieting and the Brussels Sprout Salad
Periodically I realize it’s time to embark on that four letter word – diet. This is one of my go-to recipes for those dark days that is delicious and filling, but sprouts aren’t just for weight loss. They’re high in potassium which for those of us prone to kidney stones, help prevent formation of the deadly little boogers.
Making The Salad
Use a mandoline to shave the sprouts into ribbons.
Separate the cauliflower florets by hand and use the mandoline to slice the remaining vegetables into uniform thin pieces.
Gather your garnishes and assemble your salad.
Strawberry Brussels Sprout Salad
Brussels Sprout Salad with home-made Strawberry Vinaigrette Dressing
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
Strawberry Walnut Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 TBL Pink Alchemy strawberry syrup
- 2 TBL olive oil
- 2 TBL walnut pieces – chopped
- Salt to taste
- 12 large brussels sprouts
- 1/4 cup baby carrots – sliced
- 4 TBL real bacon pieces
- 1 radish – sliced
- 1/3 cup cauliflower florets
- 2 green onions – whites only – sliced
- 1/2 serrano chile pepper – sliced
- 1/2 cup feta cheese – crumbled
- 2 TBL golden raisins
- 2 roma tomatoes – seeded and roughly chopped
- 2/3 cup strawberry walnut vinaigrette dressing
- Garlic croutons – optional
- 12 walnut halves – garnish
- Whisk together all dressing ingredients and rest while preparing the salad ingredients
- Shave the brussels sprouts, carrot, radish, green onions and serrano chile peppers using a mandoline
- Separate the cauliflower florets and gather the raisins, cheese and bacon
- Plate the sprout shavings, and divide each of the veggies equally
- Garnish with cheese, raisins, croutons and walnut halves – OR-
- Toss everything together and divide among the plates
- Pour the strawberry vinaigrette dressing over each salad and serve