I coined the name Aviatrix while searching for a gin based cocktail to add to the summer playbook. I ran across something new to consider, an Aviator. It was tasty, but it included enough lemon juice to pucker me up a little too much.
Playing around with different juices and other ingredients, I decided to try lime. It’s a little sweeter and less astringent than lemon. I retained the base ingredients, changed the proportions and substituted lime juice. Thus was born the Aviatrix.
She’s as beautiful as she is delicious. The creme de violette gives it a light purple hue that looks as cool as it tastes. It more than meets the requirements for a summer drink. It’s a very popular request at my home bar. Friends have been known to call ahead and ask to stop by for one. How can I deny such a reasonable request?
- 2–1/2 oz Tanqueray or Bombay Sapphire gin
- 1/2 oz Luxardo marischino liqueur
- 1 oz fresh lime juice
- 1/2 oz Creme de Violette
- Fill a cocktail shaker one third to half way with ice
- Add the ingredients and shake or stir the devil out of it to chill
- Strain and pour into a frozen cocktail glass
And just one more thing…
With a sexy name like Aviatrix how can you ignore this?