The meatloaf burger was on the menu until it wasn’t. Featured at a local restaurant, it was a favorite of ours and countless others. When entertaining guests, it was an easy recommendation that never failed to please. Then without warning it was gone, replaced by “seasonal fare” and never seen again.
There’s a lesson to be learned from this story and it’s be careful of “fixing what ain’t broke”. It began a long, slow slide of missteps, an alarming reduction in daily “covers”, and an ownership change. It also inspired me to make my own.
Meatloaf Burger Variations
Like any burger joint, everything is optional except the meatloaf and a bun. Even the sliced loaf can be prepared two ways, pan fried or grilled. Condiment choices are limitless and barbecue sauce, mayo, ketchup or mustard are totally acceptable. For a real treat however, slather on some perfect remoulade. Throw on a few sauteed mushrooms, lettuce, tomato, and/or onion. With or without cheese of any type and bacon, it will be delicious. For a treat, top it with fried shallots and the bun, well your favorite fresh one is perfect.
This is my personal favorite. It takes a little time, but what in life is worthwhile that doesn’t involve some effort?Print
When you make this it becomes the “perfect” meatloaf burger!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 1 1x
- A thick slice of dense meatloaf – get the recipe HERE
- 2 TBL butter
- 1 sesame seed bun – buttered and toasted in a skillet
- 2–3 rings of sliced red onion or fried shallots
- 2 slices of american or cheddar cheese
- A green, leafy lettuce leaf
- Tomato -thinly sliced – optional
- Ed’s perfect remoulade – get the recipe HERE
- Dill pickle spear – on the side
- Kettle jalapeno potato chips
- Butter your bun and toast it on a griddle or in a skillet and set aside on a plate
- Cut a generous slice of meatloaf about 1″ to 1-1/2″ thick
- Place a skillet over medium heat, add butter
- Crisp the meatloaf on one side – about 5 minutes
- Carefully flip the meatloaf and cook for a couple minutes until crisped on both sides
- Cover it with cheese and fry until the cheese melts
- Assemble the burger by placing a lettuce leaf, the meatloaf, tomato, a healthy dollop of remoulade and fried shallots or red onion and the top bun
- Serve with a pickle spear and kettle chips